Thursday, July 27, 2006

A Cubs Fan Lament

Why must I torture myself? Am I a fool who longs for punishment? As I write this the Cubs are losing to "our" nemesis, the St. Louis Cardinals. In case you haven't heard, the Cubs have not won the World Series in almost 100 years. Success in general has been elusive for the Cubbies.
Some say that the eviction of a goat and its owner from a game has cursed the Cubs all these years. In 2003 they were oh so close to reaching the World Series until a one Steve Bartman reached out and grabbed a foul ball about to land in the glove of the Cubs left fielder. Although a true fan would know that a double play ball bobbled by Alex Gonzalez (the owner of the highest fielding percentage in the NL that year) is what kept that fatal inning going and he should be the one to blame.
Since then injuries have plagued the Cubbies. The star pitchers going down year after year and numerous injuries to other key players has prevented them from performing up to expectations.
The story behind my weird obsession goes something like this: Ryne Sandberg and Mark Grace hooked me on the Cubs, having my name on the scoreboard at Wrigley on my birthday cemented my loyalty. There are two things one can count on with the Cubs, losing and loyal fans.
While blogging this the Cubs have taken the lead. As an experienced Cubs fan I am just waiting to see how they blow it...

No comments: