Wednesday, March 28, 2007

WHERE ARE YOU FROM?

As you have probably noticed, the name of this blog is "Misplaced in Memphis". I guess that would indicate that I am not "from" Memphis. Well, I think there are a couple different ways I could answer where I am from, Erin and I have had this discussion a number of times. The discussion originated when we were in New York state. We stopped in a local ice cream store and the owner asked us where we were from. He had the tradition of placing a pin on a map for out-of-town customers. We had been in Memphis about six months. Where are we from? Are we from where we were born and raised? Are we from where we are living currently? What a paradoxical question. In this instance I think it is safe to say we are from Memphis.

A fellow church member who does not know if I am a member or not (I was in a different service than usual) asks me where I am from upon introduction. Could he be wondering if I am an in town guest or someone passing through? Am I from here in town? Do I preface it with "Well I am originally from Paducah, Kentucky but I live in Memphis now"? If I say, "I am from Memphis" am I making it sound like I am born and raised Memphite?



Someone please help me with this difficult question.

5 comments:

James T Wood said...

My theory is that you are "from" where ever you call home. That means that I will never be "from" Memphis, but that I am now from Oregon (even though I grew up in Washington), since that is where I consider home.

$0.02

Justin P. Lewis said...

The good ol' "home is where the heart is" theory.

Jason said...

I'm on for the home is where the heart is. I call Memphis 'home' right now. Home to me is where Jason and I are living. I haven't always felt like that, though. When people ask, I usually say something like 'we're from Memphis...we've lived here for 4 years'. Then they might ask where we grew up or moved from. I don't always want to drop the Australia bomb on everyone...then I have to give my life story....
Good wonderings....

Unknown said...

This used to be a problem when I had a cell phone. Andrea once used my phone to call me while I was in our E. Memphis apartment by simply pressing "Home." Of course, my mom answered the call, 12 hours away. Things have changed, though. I don't carry a mobile phone now.

Rusty and Rachel said...

I guess 'home' for me is where my current home mailing address is. This helps me to live in the present instead of in a dreamworld where I'm living where I think is best for me.

While in Japan, I said my home was Mito City (which Japanese obviously saw to be where I'm currently living, not where I'm from). This method helps me to not thumb my nose up (for the most part) at the place I currently am. Memphis is my 'home' for now, it won't be my home when I move away.