Thursday, June 28, 2007

I SENSE TROUBLE

Sense of direction has never been something I tout as being a strong suit. Last night was an example of how it can be a problem. After a time of worship at the Church of Christ at Whitestation I became very frustrated due to my lack of sense of direction. The church is undergoing construction on one of the parking areas. So, not only is the building under construction in one wing, it has that lot completely sealed off. Almost. The only way back there is through double doors leading from the building.

Because I had no real idea of where I was in the building, it took me 5-10 minutes to find the room in which the worship took place. This being the case, I had no clue as to the quickest way to get back to my bike at the conclusion of the service. This takes me back to the part about only one way to the sealed off construction zone. I walked straight out the double doors that led not to my bike, instead to the sealed off lot. There is no escape. I realize this pretty soon after the doors shut behind me. They are now locked.

I walk all the way around the corner on both sides to find no way out. The room in which the service was held is not close enough to draw anyone's attention. I am in trouble. All because I lack a sense of direction. Granted, there are worse places to be trapped in Memphis than a closed church parking lot, but I was very frustrated. My options were limited. Be proud and find a way out. Or phone a friend for them to come open the door. Uncharacteristically, I threw out the option of calling on Rusty for assistance. I was determined on finding a way out. So I found the only spot in the fence row in which I could crawl under, and did just that. I might add that I barely fit under the fence. That was a little bit anticlimactic I guess. But I showed them, I climbed right under their fence, got on my bike and rode home.


Happy Birthday Dad

No comments: