Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Soccer Player Resurrected

From as long as I can remember up to age 18, I was a hardcore soccer player. I played all year long, outside soccer was not enough for me. I even played inside in the winter. Then high school graduation hit and I felt like I would never need a soccer ball again. I was burnt out. I passed up a chance to play for Murray State's club team. My sophmore year at MSU I decided to play intramural, but it was half-hearted. I only showed up to games when I felt like it. I quickly went back into retirement. I couldn't pass up a chance to come out of soccer retirement the next year, but to coach. It was not money that enticed me. I just wanted to donate my time selflessly. A sorority soccer team needed a coach, so I reluctantly agreed to do my best to guide the AOPi girls to a intramural championship. OK maybe it wasnt that selfless after all. I would like to add that this was before I was dating my wonderful wife who is so much smarter and better looking than any of those sorority chics.
So, after that you are probably wondering if I am ever going to get to the point. Well here it is. The World Cup was played this year in Germany. I couldn't drag myself away from the television when there was a game on. I became consumed with the whole thing. I was very disappointed with the US. Maybe even more disappointed with Zidane's head butt heard around the world, I was rooting for France when the US bit the dust.
Now I want to play everyday. I have played a few games with some guys from school. Ben and I have kicked around several times, even Erin played with me one day. I cannot get enough of it.
Soccer is so simple, yet you are always thinking. Other than halftime the game never stops. It takes skill and endurance and most of all teamwork. Those traits are what makes it the best sport on the planet, the "beatiful game" as they call it. Anyone with me?

No comments: