Wednesday, January 31, 2007

More Than A Feeling

Andrew Peterson has some really good songs. In one of his songs there is a lyric that makes alot of sense and convicts me. It goes "love is not a feeling in your chest, it is getting down to wash someone's feet." What is love if it is stagnant? Love isn't just a feeling or a thought. If you love then you are taking action.
If love is taking action then I am bad at loving the poor. I am good at thinking about how I want to be good in the helping profession. I am good at thinking about what I should be doing for the poor. I have the heart and compassion for the poor. But I am bad at loving though. I bought a man on Poplar Street lunch one day last year. I felt like I was really doing something. If I really loved the poor and didn't just want to make myself feel good I could have ate with him at least. When I reflect on financial ways I could be helping the poor I get sick.
I don't want to answer to God about how little I did for the poor. I want to be able to freely give as I have freely received. That giving should be of my time and of my money. I pray that I will not only have the desire to help but I will be willing to take action.

No comments: