Thursday, September 13, 2007

VERY un-SUPERSTITIOUS

I have come to the conclusion that I have no control over the outcome of Chicago Cubs baseball games. For that matter, I have very little control over many things by wearing the same socks, wearing a lucky shirt, etc. I used to be quasi-superstitious, but no more. It is difficult for a Cubs fan not to be superstitious for one reason.; the Cubs lose a lot. It has nothing to do with a goat curse or anything like that. They just get outplayed. In fact, in some systemic way believing in superstitions may actually cause lower performance. If you are unable to perform a superstition then you may feel like your chances of success are lower. By thinking this you may actually perform worse, blaming it of course, on the superstition.
I am not just applying this to sports. I have no problem walking under ladders (except for the whole danger aspect). If I break a mirror, so what?
So, unfortunately, no matter what I do -save preventing Moises Alou from catching a fly ball-I cannot change the outcome of a Cubs baseball game.

No comments: