Monday, August 06, 2007

SMOKIN'


I got a problem with smokers. They get a pass on at least two major frowned upon actions. Slacking off at work and littering. In high school I worked in the mall and those who smoked got smoke breaks. Non-smokers, meanwhile, continued to work. Annoying as that is, what is worse is the break on litter. Most people refrain from throwing trash on the sidewalk and out there windows while driving, smokers can throw out their cigarette butts. If I finished my candy bar and threw down my wrapper I would get dirty looks and rightfully so, however, smokers can throw down their cig and stomp it out and get away with it. Somehow this double standard needs to be stopped.

1 comment:

Mark said...

I know exactly what you're talking about. That used to drive me nuts. I worked at a retail store, and sometimes it was just the two of us. My co-worker was outside every single hour sucking on his cancer sticks. No help answering the phones or helping customers. I was constantly having to run outside and look around the corner to find him. It is a terrible double standard. It's pretty convenient to get 25% of every day off from work for the same pay. At this point, it is inexcusable to be a smoker. We all know it's stupid and it kills you. The policies that exist encourage bad habits, i think.